Thursday, October 02, 2008

Who Wants To Be a Millionare??

"there is nothing like getting a million dollars and then being told I am a lying, thieving adulterating, blasphemous sinner"



I was sitting at dinner in a nice Thai restaurant when it happened.

My friend pulled out a million dollar bill and put it on the table.

I'd heard about these things from other websites and podcasts I listen to but this was the first one I've ever seen.

No...it's not real money. It's a jesus-freak-turn-or-burn tract.

This one is done by the newest boob of the fundies, Ray Comfort. Ray is a little, seemingly friendly man from New Zealand and he is, as far as I can see, Fundamentalist Christianity's shining knight. He's partnered up with the most saccharin of actors, Kirk Cameron, to try to convince other fundies to do what they do.

He's also an antagonistic blow hard who thinks he can prove the existence of god without using the bible (he can't, either way) and thinks that demeaning people will make them want to love god.

When I blurted out at dinner "oh this is one of those Ray Comfort things", I got a delighted response "Oh, you know who he is!".

Yep.

Do I like the fact that I know who he is?

Not really.

But aside from all that, this million dollar tract really gets on my nerves and I don't quite know why. Maybe it's because back in my fundie days, people were using something similar to tip waitresses (substituting the actual tip) and really pissing off the hard working wait staff. Or maybe it's because it looks too much like actual currency. Or maybe it's a really weird way to try to convert people. 

I could go on and on about how much of a boob I think he is, and maybe I will someday, but right now I want to go eat dinner.

No comments: