Friday, December 14, 2007

Back in the USA

13 December

4 AM comes so early! I was terrified awake by my alarm after trying desperately to fall asleep—so often this happens: you want to sleep but are afraid you won't wake up.

The taxi driver was quite friendly to me, he tried small talking but I was just too damn tired for German and kinda let the conversation dissolve. I had to. He also liked to stop at every yellow light...nore money for him, I guess. I didn't care.

So, here I am in the Dresden airport. I'll try to write every step I take. Hopefully my flights will be on time and in 20 hours, I'll be home!

The appetizer:

the 45 minute flight is not even worth talking about. I had barely enough time to drink a cup of water before we started landing. I guess it's a nice warm-up to the 9 hour "main course" I"m about to go through. I am excited. I am happy. I am happy to be on the way, finally, even if it's just a small step...at least I am on the way.

I got stopped by a surveyor who asked me questions about my advertising viewing habits. It was really cool that I understood 8 of the 10 questions completely, and the other 2 she needed to ask me in a different way. I understood the words, just not the overall meaning.

I think I am coming down with a cold. I've managed to doge the bullet so far, but the day I leave for the US?? Come on!! I didn't want to stay health til now. Really. I was hoping to be sick a few weeks ago so I wouldn't have to endure some cold while home.

I hope it's a cold and not the flu. Shit...that would suck.

Boarding begins in an hour and I am surprised at how few people are here. Isn't New York a popular city?? Don't people want to go there? Of course there will be a last minute push and I probably will be sat next to either an obnoxious person or a really big person. Or a really big obnoxious person.

Such is my luck.

9 hours on a plane is a lot. Ok, I know it isn't Sydney or San Francisco, but it's damn far enough! I hope it's only 9 hours and not the 14 hour drama that happened last year. I won't speak German on the plane. I am officially on vacation. No German. No intellect.. Just unadulterated stupidity and selfishness...at least to Lufthansa. :-)

But really, I CAN speak to them in German when it benefits me. Typical how I always weigh the benefits in a situation. Don't we all? Well, I use my English to keep them on guard. It's my turn to relax and not think. Really. I don't want to do any unnecessary thinking!

50 minutes til boarding. How much more can I write? I bought a book about a bounty hunter. I have no idea if it's good yet. It was something to read. I probably won't even open it on the plane. I always do this! I think: "yeah, I'll read a book on the plane" and NEVER do.

Fuck, the plane is overbooked! What the fuck is that??!!

The main course:

I got the flight. Yes, it was overbooked, but since I was up at 4:30 checking in, I had a seat. Way in the back. The flight was pretty typical except for the nice fact that I slept for just a little bit. It's funny how you can divide time when you have nothing else to do on a plane. I kept making up strange math equations for how long it'd take us to get to New York. (there was a status update and told us, I just had to do the math to make sure)

Getting into New York was fine, no problems at all and I even got rebooked to an "earlier" flight with jetblue (for no extra money, thank you very much, American service!)

The dessert:

The problem was, and I think that God hates me, was that New York State was sacked in with a snow storm. Last year was fog, this year snow, next year fire and brimstone...So...the earlier flight wound up being only 45 minutes earlier. But I got in to Rochester at 9:15, my parents were happy, and I slept like a log til my body woke me up at 4 (that's when I am writing this).

So...unlike last year, I got in on the same day, and I am a bit tired, but overall happy to be here for Christmas.

I'll try to write more. I just wanted to let those who do care know that I am alive and everything is okie dokie.

3 comments:

Tobius said...

Congratulations!! I recall the excitement of being home . . . hope the snow doesn't impede your plans too much.

Angela said...

Just wait for this weekend. We're supposed to get bogged down with over a foot!

tiffany said...

it's nice to imagine you on the same piece of earth. have a great holiday!