Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Invisible Pills??

I don't know what it is.

Yesterday I thought to myself: "you must have taken invisible pills this week".

Or, at the very least, there is something in my tap water that renders me invisible.

Seriously. People here seem to not see me.

They walk directly in front of me, they cut me off mid stride, they even cut ahead of me in a supermarket line.

Like if I had on my forehead "take advantage of me because I am not German!"

And I had my bout with culture shock when I first moved here and I thought it was "a Dresden thing" and then I got over my culture shock and I thought maybe it was "a German thing" and then I thought it was too much of a generalization to say that and said "it's a person to person thing".

Well, I was in Leipzig today on a business trip.

Guess what? It's a Dresden thing. The Leipzigers totally are more aware of their surroundings and move out of the way when you have the right of way. Crazy! Really! I cannot believe it.

And there is no way to remedy this. I just have to suck it up.


No comments: