Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What To Do....

What does one do their last day in a country?

Photos? A quick walk around to take in the atmosphere? 

No. Cleaning. Packing. Garbage. Stress.

I am pretty sure that anyone from a different country living in the USA has the same issues trying to "de-register" and get all your paperwork ducks in a row, but I hate it.

Let's eliminate paperwork and bureaucracy. Seriously.

Anyway, it's a nice morning here and I do want to get out and take some last photos here but am not so sure because I have to throw away all the crap I can't take with me. (= not easy in the German system)

I have to make small "stealth" runs when throwing away my stuff. Here, they have containers for each building and you have to separate the garbage into 3 main categories: paper, plastic and "other". I have grown to really - REALLY - love the "other" because that is where you can technically throw anything. The problem is I can fill the thing on my own and that leaves very angry neighbors (who go through my garbage and sort what I didn't do good enough).

So what is the solution?? Street garbage cans!

That's right! I take an innocent-looking shopping bag (not see through because that would give away the plan) and walk up a block or so and dump whatever I want into those small havens for my unwanted things. 

No guilt. No dirty looks from the neighbors. Just simple elimination bliss.

Yes, I should be out taking photos.

But I have to plan my garbage exodus. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1 day to go see you tommorrow Bob!
Matt

Anonymous said...

"Stealth garbage runs"??? Planning your garbage exodus??? What kind of person did we raise?? Well, you won't be able to do that here--people don't care THAT much about their garbage here!!
Anonymous Parents

Sarah said...

Oh, those final and lasting images of Dresden: not the Elbwiese and the Brühlsche Terrasse but the gelbe Tonne and the Abmeldebestätigung.

Anonymous said...

I love this post! LOL!