Sunday, August 05, 2007

Hostel 1 & 2

I can't believe I saw both Hostel movies.

The first one made me curious to see the second. And I don't know why.

But I am still not happy about it.

I mean, it was a horror movie and the goal is to make people afraid or send shivers up the spine, but this was extreme.

I remember a long time ago, I went to see Seven with my friend Lou and after the movie he said "don't ever take to a movie like that again". It was pretty shocking but I thought the story was good.

Hostel wasn't that good. The story was weak and I didn't like that it made backpackers victims—especially since I do a bit of backpacking.

But in part two it was really wrong, in my opinion. It had an idealistic, naive, innocent girl brutally murdered and more than leaving it to our imagination, it SHOWED the gore and the you could hear the sounds.

I know it's a story, but I feel really bad for that character.

And to be fair, if a movie invokes an emotional response, then maybe that's all that matters.

Seven, Fight Club, Exorcist, Hostel, Life as a House did it for me...the list goes on.

So how can I completely criticize a movie that made me feel SOMETHING? It's far better than the benign crap that pervades the cinema.

The story was crap but it made me feel.

But I wouldn't let children see it. But that is why it's restricted to people over 18 even though I think that is still too young.

No comments: