Thursday, September 18, 2008

How Time Flies...

It's my last full day in the states.

It's been a great time this time. The weather has been really great and I have been able to meet up with some friends.

And eat.

My god, have I eaten a lot. (Pete, I need a squash game or 10 to get back into shape!)

But, I have enjoyed every minute of it.

On Monday, my parents and I went to Niagara Falls. I haven't been there in a long time and since I wanted to try out my new camera, why not go somewhere scenic?


The place has changed quite a lot in the last 20 years. They have really renovated the strip right along the falls. I remember it being kinda dingy and now it's not so dingy anymore.

At my protest, my parents dragged me onto the Maid Of the Mist—a steamship that takes you basically into the falls. I had never been on it before and thought of it as a tourist trap.

Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. It was the best thing I have done here. I cannot do the feeling justice by putting it into words (but I'll sure try). Once the narration finished talking about the statistics of the falls and who tried going over in a barrel, etc, they steer us to horseshoe falls and the boat driver just sits us next to the falls and you hear "ladies and gentleman, this is Niagara Falls" and then you are surrounded by the sheer force of nature. Powerful. Indiscriminate. Beautiful. The narrative stops and the falls speak for themselves. It was absolutely amazing and I was on the verge of tears because of the beauty.


And I have never, ever, been that emotional about nature before.

I had the wonderful opportunity to help my friend Lou shoot a wedding as a 2nd assistant. He had a main assistant but let me come along to see how it's done and to try out my new camera and lens. It was probably the most humid day of the year—probably in my life— due to the hurricane. Yes, we feel the hurricane even way up here. But it was quite interesting and fun to see the power you have if you carry around a huge camera. The bride feels like a rock star and the guests made comments later that the 3 photographers were impressive. Nice.

I saw only one movie so far: Batman. I saw it in Germany, but dad hadn't seen it yet and they were playing it in an IMAX theater. I am glad I saw it because the picture and sound were so much better than in Germany.

I got a chance to see my brother's band as well and I am glad I did. He gave me his CD and the content kinda sounded all the same. But the live stuff was quite good and more diverse. I am looking forward to the 2nd demo.


I am a bit disappointed in the nightlife here. There are things to do but not many people get out really unless they are die hard fans. I hope it gets better someday but I don't know how since people have to drive everywhere and therefore cannot drink. (public transportation...hello?)

Anyway...I wil be sad to go tomorrow. I'll have to get back to my normal life in Dresden but at least I'll have had a nice time here and can bring back a new camera and lens!

No comments: