Sunday, February 03, 2008

Got Gas??

(I had this written and I forgot to post it Feb 2!)


I keep seeing internet news articles about growing concern that the next president will "do something" about the gas prices.


I have an idea: stop driving so much.


When I was home (different times over the past few years) I walked. It's not so bad. Sure, people may look at you like you are a freak, but it was fine.


In fact, I enjoyed seeing things you wouldn't normally see with a car.


I rode my bike. People actually stopped me and offered me a ride. Someone even offered to "throw the bike in the back of the van and catch a ride".


Here's a thought: I want to ride my bike. That's why bought it.


I know that civil engineering has made it almost impossible and modern culture has made it "un-manly" to walk. I know that people "depend on their cars".


It's not a healthy dependency. It's an addiction. And we all need to detox. And with any detox it will be hard—painful at times, but after the pain, it will be better.


And, sorry to seem insensitive: YOU DID THIS TO YOURSELF when you bought that absurdly huge SUV that has shitty gas milage, when you moved even further away from the cities in where you work, and when you don't try to save gas.


I think gas should be as expensive as it is in Germany: 8 dollars a damn gallon after the conversion. 


Then that would beg the following questions:


Do you really need to drive to the corner market?


Is carpooling "sissy" or inconvernient?


Couldn't this whole issue be why Americans are so damn fat?


Trust me, I include myself in this, I am just angered that people will actually vote on the HOPE that gas prices will go down.


Guess what?: THEY WON'T


And as soon as you wake up, suck it up and realize that you will have to change your lifestyle, the easier it will be.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't call me fat!