Sunday, February 03, 2008

I Like Mike?

(2 in one day because I forgot yesterday)



I have to admit it now, to all of you:


I am not as well informed as I should be about the upcoming presidential race.


It's true. I see clips that are only 10 seconds long and in a certain context and I base my opinion on just that 10 seconds.


It's not right.


For example: whenever I heard Mike Huckabee talk in interviews, I said to myself "ok, not bad, he's actually saying something (unlike most politicians) and while I don't agree with some of what he says, he's saying it as straightforward as he can. So I took his friendly face and friendly candor and, in a way, judged him as an ok guy.


Well.......I went to his website to look at his views a bit deeper.


What his site says:


Faith: it seems that faith is now code for Christianity. 


From his website: "My faith is my life - it defines me. My faith doesn't influence my decisions, it drives them. For example, when it comes to the environment, I believe in being a good steward of the earth. I don't separate my faith from my personal and professional lives.


Real faith makes us humble and mindful, not of the faults of others, but of our own. It makes us less judgmental, as we see others with the same frailties we have. Faith gives us strength in the face of injustice and motivates us to do our best for "the least of us."


I am wondering if he'll be tolerant—or as tolerant as he says—towards people with no faith, or a different faith than his. It's not clear.


Right to life: This is a sticky issue and he is extremely pro life. On his website he is pretty conservative in his views (he was a pastor, wasn't he?) and wants Roe vs. Wade overturned.


My concern is that this can be viewed like prohibition in the 20s and 30s. It didn't stop those who really wanted alcohol. And I fear that this would do the same (but with far messier outcomes). Sure, I am pro choice because, for one, I am not a woman and I have no idea what the gravity of being pregnant is really about so who am I to say they cannot do what they want to their bodies?, and another, I feel that if the mother isn't ready then why force a woman to be a mother when she obviously doesn't want to be?


I could go on and pick apart his views, but they are his views and he is absolutely allowed to share them. I don't agree with some of his fundamental views, but he seems like a nice guy. 


I do not think that religion should be brought into politics for so many reasons—more than I'd care to write, it's destructive, fascist, intolerant, and breeds hatred. Look at the Muslim countries' politics which are so closely tied to religion. I have no problem with people believing what they want, but I don't want it forced on me or a mass of people. That is not freedom.


The idea of this was to be a bit better informed. I used "the internets" and got a bit more informed. I will continue to do the same with the other candidates.


Will all of you?


Would I vote for him? At the moment, no. Do I think he is a nice guy? Yes.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i also find him like-able. hell, he's even made some funny jokes. i think i'd like to have a beer with him, even. but, as my president? no.

a million other issues aside, there is (or should be) a separation of church and state. while i wouldn't say anyone should be denied office because they have faith, i'm also not comfortable with someone holding office who says faith drives their every decision. it scared me with GWB, and it scares me now.

we are in trying times. important decisions need to be made, and they need to be made with more thought and care than can be given by one who believes that, in the end, god is on their side.

the consequences of being wrong are just too high.

p.s.
this is a seriously overgeneralized comment, so i hope my point was at least a little bit clear.