Sunday, March 20, 2011

DBD and Erotic NIghts

Last night I went out.

I know, I know, I am getting some modicum of a social life. I kinda like it. I kinda really like it.

So we started out at Equal Grounds Cafe in the Southwedge area and there was a very interesting event: it was performances from different poets, writers, musicians, comedians and others with the theme “erotic nights”. Much of the subject was sex/love oriented. Some of it was really sexy and some of it was a little “too far” for what I am used to in a public setting.

But even so, it was really interesting and really great. And I noticed this one thing that kept coming up in my thought process: they were using words and expressions that I would use about someone of the opposite sex.

The. Same. Damn. Words.

So yeah it’s comforting that even “teh gayz” can love and laugh and be insecure and pine and celebrate what human sexuality is - but on a level that even a straight white dude like me can understand. I want to write a lot more about this but at the moment I can’t find the words.

So, after that, we went to the Keg, a very obtuse almost-dump a block away from where the sex poetry was to see Faith’s band, Deep Blue Dream, play.

Now wasn’t sure what to expect sound-wise or anything, really. I was just excited to see a friend’s band play that didn’t suck and wasn’t metal or something. It was fucking fantastic. The whole band was great. I really couldn’t see a weak link at all in the group. They all sang. They all played their asses off.

But what was really good, for me, was the conversation I had with Faith between sets.

In the midst of Blayke getting way-too-sick drunk and puking in the bathroom. In the midst of Blayke suddenly becoming very open about her past to Kenna and Art.

The conversation was quite revealing to be honest. She asked me about friends I came with and friends in general.

“I don’t really have many friends” she said

“Me either”

Then we went on this too-many-people-are-too-superficial-or-stupid-to-bother-with rant and it was cool that some people see things the way I do.

Some people see things exactly the way I do. And it’s reassuring, refreshing and needed.

No comments: