Friday, March 18, 2011

The Power of Christ Compels Me...?

I woke up his morning and I felt good.

I can't really explain why though. Perhaps it's because of the weather being as Goldilox would have said: "just right". Except the crows woke me up. Why must they be so loud?

I am thinking about this video project I am doing over the weekend. Three videos, each are one-take videos of "moving photographs". I like the idea but I am not sure of a few things.

  • I am not sure I am totally comfortable, yet, dealing with whatever issues I want to deal with in my art.
  • I am not sure I want anyone at RIT (and this almost doesn't matter because 99% of the people in crits could give two shits about anything other than wanting crit to be done so they can go be miserable or whatever).
  • Because of my issue with not completing things/commitment, I am afraid of getting feedback. (thanks, childhood)
But here goes one idea: ever since I was 14 or 15, when I saw the Exorcist for the first time, I have been terrified of this one scene - so much so that when I see this scene I have trouble sleeping for a day or two still. It's not anything that happens to the girl. It's the dream sequence.

More specifically, it's the quick appearance of a demon face in the sequence of the dream.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koXMhFXSF9A

In case youtube ever takes it down, it's not that scary really. It's the build up of the whole priest-losing-his-faith story with the apparent possession of Reagan and for whatever reason, be it the editing or the eire music, it totally unnerves me.

But the worst part of it is the demon-like face in it:

Now, I know what it is. It's a make up test of what they wanted Reagan's character to look like when possessed. They just decided to put it into the dream to scare me. And it's probably that they flash it for a 1/2 second so you see it, but don't really see it and try to process what it is and therefore "see" it for much longer than you really wanted to. Or, at least that is what happens to me.

See, as part of my proactive view of the world, I want to confront that which I fear. So I bought the DVD and watch it from time to time. Yeah, if I think about it too much I might lose sleep for a night or two but whatever. I am not going to let it control me anymore.

Silly, right? Bueller?

I think this might have deeper significance. And I want to write about it sometime soon. And don't get me started with bees. That is my biggest fear and I am not sure I will ever overcome that one. Bees. And feet.

3 comments:

Tim Schaertel said...

So what does Christ have to do with this?

Robert said...

Hey Tim, thanks for posting and being probably one of the only people reading this.

Nothing. It's more about confronting that which terrified me long ago. And I appropriated the phrase from the movie as a title for the blog.

Tim Schaertel said...

Ahh I understand. I missed the reference because I have never seen tge movie.